Journey with the Austin Film Society and Tiny World Tours to the Czech Republic for a six day curated experience spanning film, art, architecture, culture, and culinary activities. The highlight will be unique access to the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (KVIFF). Tour dates: June 26-July 3, 2018
The delightful city of Prague, our first stop, is noted for art and architecture spanning six centuries, as well as lively food and shopping scenes. A medieval layout spirals outward with notable Baroque, Rococo, and Art Nouveau landmark buildings and a few modern and contemporary edifices (including Frank Gehry's swinging "Fred and Ginger" house). The Art Nouveau master Alphonse Mucha (1860-1930) has major works here, but the city is also noted for cubism and modernist abstraction in painting, photography, and design. Three nights.
Karlovy Vary is a hot springs spa town a few hours drive from Prague though a lovely countryside, where the charms include spa parks, woods, and scenic overlooks. Our central attraction is its International Film Festival, best known for debuts of new features and important documentaries. Beyond this, we'll sample artistic projects by independent directors, new productions coming out of little known film industries, retrospectives, and an overview of Czech film output during the past year. In February, KVIFF will announce a program that ties Texas filmmakers to the festival in a very special way, which is why this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a small group of AFS friends. 4 nights.
- Deluxe hotel accommodations and foodie experiences in Prague and Karlovy Vary (airport transfers included)
- Private guided 6-hour tour of Prague highlights in historical tram
- Private visit to Prague's Municipal House
- Private Vltava river cruise including refreshments and live accordian music
- Private visit to Strahov Monastery Library
- Luxury bus transport to Karlovy Vary, one of Europe's great spa towns
- Meetings with experts in the Czech film and art worlds (e.g. visit to Prague Studios one of Europe's largest studios, hosted by founder/owner Tomas Krejci)
- VIP events and access at the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (KVIFF), accompanied by AFS Artistic Director Richard Linklater
- Private airport transfer from the Prague airport
- Seven night luxury accommodations in the city centers of Prague and Karlovy Vary
- Delicious meals and culinary experiences, including four dinners, three lunches, all breakfasts,
- Entrance fees for museums, historical landmarks
- Guided tours by local specialists
- Karlovy Vary International Film Festival VIP passes and invitations to the opening ceremony and other receptions.
- Private airport transport from Karlovy Vary to the Prague airport
The total land portion within the Czech-Republic is $5,000 per guest, based on double occupancy (this price includes a $500 tax-deductible donation to the Austin Film Society). For guests traveling alone, there is a $2,150 single supplement hotel charge. Guests are responsible for their own international transportation to and from Prague.
Payment in full due date: 30 March 2018
This $200 deposit applies to the total trip cost and is refundable up until 60 days before tour begins. This deposit is refundable until full payment is due on 30 March 2018. This tour is contingent on a minimum of 8 participants registering and paying in full by 30 March 2018.
* itinerary subject to change according to unforeseen circumstances / exciting opportunities