Come spend 14 days experiencing the hospitality of ethnic Sherpas and Tibetan Buddhist Monasteries in the Mt Everest region of Nepal and in the capital city, Kathmandu (KTM). This will be an awesome lifetime experience.
This tour will center around the Sherpa/Buddhist Mani Rimdu festival and taking advantage of the usually excellent / clear fall weather. Although most of the time our group will be at the new “Kyirmu" Sherpa Lodge at 8,000 ft (similar altitude to Santa Fe, NM), we will transport you to the Chiwong Monastery (the site of the festival) ~12,000 ft where we’ll attend the festival celebrating the founding of Buddhism in Nepal, made all the more magical by the full moon. The Mani Rimdu festival was featured in a ~1 hour captivating “Destroyer of Illusion: The Secret World of a Tibetan Lama” documentary film narrated by Richard Gere (click here to view).
Although there will be time allotted to seeing sights in and around Kathmandu, the majority of our time will be in the Solukhumbu region near Mt Everest. Included will be a helicopter experience viewing Mt Everest.
The total in-Nepal expedition portion cost of this Nepal experience (lodging, transportation, meals, Sherpa guides & porters, entrance fees, experiences at Buddhist monasteries, etc) is $4,900. Participants arrange their own international transportation to Kathmandu, with opportunities for Nepal trip extensions (advice provided upon request) and/or stopovers possible in various global hubs.
• Learn about Tibetan Buddhism and meet the reincarnated successor to Trulshik Rinpoche, "Destroyer of Illusion" and teacher of the Dalai Lama - a four-year-old lama. Visit 4-5 monasteries.
• Experience the unforgettable Mani Rimdu festival (annual high point festival of the Tibetan Buddhists near Mt Everest) at the spectacularly situated Chiwong Monastery.
• Enjoy views of Mt Everest from a helicopter (weather permitting)
• Join a heritage expert and architect for a behind-the-scenes look at the process of rebuilding Unesco World Heritage sites in Patan, Nepal.
• Learn about the Kathmandu contemporary art scene from one of its foremost experts.
• Visit a factory where traditional handmade materials are made into contemporary architecture and design products.
• Optional mountain hiking experiences with exquisite views
• Authentic direct-contact cultural experiences such as Sherpa hospitality.
Payment in full due date: 30 April 2018
* $1,500 single supplement charge
* itinerary subject to change according to unforeseen circumstances / opportunities